Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blood Donation Experience

I guess it's been almost a week since I wrote last time. Yeah, for the first time in my life I donated blood. Always wanted to do it though. During my engineering days I got one opportunity but blood group didn't match. For whatever reasons could never do it.

In my first year here in US I went to give blood after seeing an email request for blood donation. Funnily, I wasn't eligible as the rule says one should be here at least 3 years before donating. Crazily, after that 4 years passed and never got chance again.

Finally, yesterday I got another email with the same request. This time evrything went well and they took one pint of Manchu bloodline. After giving blood the one thing I absolutely didn't understand was the fear of some people about donating blood. Anyway, it was nothing. It took exactly 5 minutes for me to draw a pint of blood. By the way one pint is almost 500ml. If you don't know the amount of blood in human body would be around 6 liters.

People asked me whether I was feeling dizzy, etc. To be frank I didn't feel anything. Overall, it was very good expirience and for a good cause. I have decided to donate blood at least 4 times a year.

By the way, I forgot to add something. They give you some snacks along with some juice in case that helps. It seems in America 60 percent of the people are eligible to give blood, but only 2 percent donate. I guess it's social responsibility of everyone because in the end we are helping ourselves but not any other species. More over, there is no replacement for human blood and platelets.

Sent from my phone.

1 comment:

Dreams said...

Did you notice the snacks they provide? Chips, chocolates, soda, fruit juice and water. I was bit surprised that they provide unhealthy options like chips and chocolates during blood donation campaign.

PBS Script Generator: Interdependent dropdown/select menus in Javascript

PBS SCRIPT GENERATOR
SH/BASH TCSH/CSH
Begin End Abort

About Me

LA, CA, United States
Here I write about the battles that have been going on in my mind. It's pretty much a scribble.

Sreedhar Manchu

Sreedhar Manchu
Higher Education: Not a simple life anymore