Sunday, March 13, 2011

Caffeine and InsomniaX for Mac OS X

I think I came across these two applications almost 2 to 3 years back. These are very useful in their own ways. First one, Caffeine, keeps your system screen from automatically dimming, going to sleep or starting screensavers. You can write a simple script to start and stop this application at certain times in a day so that it would come alive by the time you go to your office and turn off at the end of the day right before you leave your office. Check my previous posts for the scripts and setting up alarms through iCal.

The second application is InsomniaX. Did you ever wish that you could run your macbook even after closing the lid. I always until I found this as I don't like having any bit of light when I go to sleep and at the same time I always wanted to run some stuff on my mac while I went to bed. This is where this application came handy. Now you know what it is for. It just prevents the laptop from going to sleep even after you close the lid to keep the applications running.

I don't know how battery life would be affected because of these two applications. I don't like using Caffeine on my laptop as I think it would affect the battery life. But if you have desktop I highly recommend it. On laptops we might forget to turn it off and it eats the battery life off. I don't think this is the problem with the second one.

Just wanted to share. I'm sure you must be knowing about these apps but if you don't here you found it.

No comments:

PBS Script Generator: Interdependent dropdown/select menus in Javascript

PBS SCRIPT GENERATOR
SH/BASH TCSH/CSH
Begin End Abort

About Me

LA, CA, United States
Here I write about the battles that have been going on in my mind. It's pretty much a scribble.

Sreedhar Manchu

Sreedhar Manchu
Higher Education: Not a simple life anymore