Saturday, November 10, 2007

Thanks to Orkut I am thinking about reunion for my engg class

My title of this blog sounds strange. Right? I think almost 6 months back one day one of my friend told me that we could meet all of our old friends online through some google application called Orkut. Frankly speaking I didn't pay any attention to that at all. One day I was sitting in my office idle with out knowing what to do. So I thought of giving a look at this Orkut thing. More over it was quite convenient as I didn't have to register separately for this one.

Initially I didn't meet that many friends. Now I have almost 80 friends on my orkut page. Best part is I have met some friends with whom I did schooling from 6th grade to 10th grade. If feels really amazing to talk to childhood friends after such a long time. It's been almost 13 years since I met them last time. Now I scrap them and they do the same in return as though we have been in touch regularly.

Another thing that made me feel really good about this orkut is I am able to talk to girls who were there with me in my classes. I used to feel damn shy to talk to girls. I still remember one thing. When I was in JNTU I used to live in hostel. All my friends are just like me. I mean they were also very shy when it came to girls. When ever we saw girls on the road, instead of saying hi, we used to look for some other route to escape from them as though they were from some other planet. Strange. Right? That was the heights of shyness.

But the funny thing is I always wanted to talk to them and make friendship with them like any other guys. So do my friends. But no one had guts to overcome the shyness. Shyness took the first place all the time. Still we had our own good moments.

In my first year of hostel stay in engineering, seniors used to rag us every night for a while in the beginning. One day one senior came to us and started asking something like name the girl we liked most in the class. Everyone was hesitating to tell the names. I took the initiative and told him I liked Neeharika. In a way I had huge crush on her. Funny thing is half of the hostel had crush on her. All my roommates told the same name. In a way I got pissed off the. After a while we were laughing like anything over that matter.

I have only very few good moments when it comes to girls. I along with my friends Kranthi, Kishan, Vijay Bhaskar, Vijay kumar reddy and Ramesh took the responsibility of arranging the farewell party for my class. After the party we were walking the girls to their hostels. One girl named Sudheera asked me Sreedhar it seems you never study for the exams, always keep playing cricket, but still get good marks, how come?. For a second I felt so happy to hear it from the girl. I gave her some funny answer. I said I get question papers before exams it self. Any way I told her I do night outs before exams. Any way point is I had kind of good reputation like this among girls. Might not be great. For me it was enough to make me very happy. Then I was holding some bouquet in my hand. Neeharika suddenly said Sreedhar you should give this bouquet to a girl and try to impress her. You know what I did, right away I gave to her saying that Neehariks this is for you. I still remember all of them started smiling. During all that half an hour walk, everyone of us trying our best to talk to them. When I look back, it feels really funny. That's it. I think I don't have any other moments with girls in my class.

During my ragging period, I had to shave my mustache off. That was the first time I did so. Then I went home on vacation. When I came back I had full mustache again. The senior who told me to shave my mustache off before vacation didn't recognize me at all and started asking me weird questions as part of ragging. He started behaving at though he never met me before. When I told him that I had met him before, he was shocked and asked me to shave my mustache again immediately. he advised me not to have mustache again in my life. He said it makes me look old. I think that was the last time I had full mustache on my face. Then I completely shaved it off and went to a science fair with other classmates. Then I saw two girls in my class smiling looking at my face. I kind of weirded out thinking that shaving mustache off might not look good. Now everyone says that I look good with out mustache. I guess its all there in getting used to. I mean if some one is used to look at you with mustache, then taking if off looks very weird to them. But after a while it looks normal again.

Any way the point is I first time in my life started scraping to all the girls form my class that were there on orkut. Some of them replied very nicely. Especially Swapna gave very sweet scrap. In a way it feels good to meet people again after long time and to know that they still remember us. I mean at least they recognize us. All the time my fear was what if they say who are you? I am sorry I really don't remember you. You see things like these in our movies. I don't know about actors in movies, but it definitely hurts male ego. I guess it is same with girls too. Some others asked how I am doing etc. But some girls didn't even care to give replies. I guess there was only one. I don't want to name her. I guess she did what she felt. But I still feel it is minimum courtesy to say hi if some one says hi to you. That too if you knew him for four years in your life.

In a way my class was pretty weird. For some reason nothing went well between guys and girls in the class. All other classes except our class (Mechanical) went on industrial tour. I felt so bad when my friend from computer science showed good photos from their tour. Actually industrial tour means it kind of feels it is for mechanical students. But nothing happened with us.

Any way now I am in touch with lot of guys, I mean girls and guys, from my engineering class. Don't think too much. Here touch means scraping now and then. That's it. Having something is better than having nothing. So in a way its good.

I have some plan in arranging some reunion for my class here in USA in coming future. I know that it is very difficult for everyone to make some time from their busy life here in USA. Still I feel it is not impossible. I am waiting for some of other close friends to come here from India. Once they are here I will start working on this. I am sure about this that one day we will have reunion of our class here in USA. I hope it works.

1 comment:

Kranthi said...

hmm!!!..sreedhar. you hid a lot from us(giggles).On the farewell day, kishan and i walked only a few steps behind you but we dont know anything you wrote on the blog(sixth paragraph).
After the function we went to hostel and all of us started discussing about the event. we(ramesh and I)observed you talking to girls. He commented you (in a funny way) "antheynamma.anthey...girls maatlaadesariki mammalni marchipoyavu". You suddenly replied " cha.. ramesh.alaantidemiledu.endukalaa antaavu". But we both laughed boisterously on that.
On that day our kishan has become "HERO". he unveiled "jntumech.."and he gave a very good speech. And what to say about ramesh...on our way back to hostel with girls..he was asked by girls to do mimicry(you told them that he is good at imitating YSR,Chandrababu,CHiru..etc).But ramesh didnt(Later he repented for not doing that). Finally,...some surprise struck even to me(giggles) and you know that.

PBS Script Generator: Interdependent dropdown/select menus in Javascript

PBS SCRIPT GENERATOR
SH/BASH TCSH/CSH
Begin End Abort

About Me

LA, CA, United States
Here I write about the battles that have been going on in my mind. It's pretty much a scribble.

Sreedhar Manchu

Sreedhar Manchu
Higher Education: Not a simple life anymore